Tuesday 15 October 2019

Hospital

Continuing from my previous post.

So as mentioned, I spent the night at the hospital with Pa Bambang and his wife. He was placed at the observation room, which is near the emergency unit. So as we were waiting, we see people coming in. Some looking for medical treatment and some were in an emergency. There was also a pregnant lady whom I think is going into labour, cause her face seemed to be in pain from contractions.

Along the night I witnessed these people. A pregnant lady seemingly in pain from her contractions. A few young men who looked like they're having stomach discomfort (they were holding on to their stomachs). An old lady who looked like she was having difficulty breathing as well. 

In the morning on my way to the blood bank to settle the transfusion issues, I passed by the baby room and heard the sounds of crying newborns. The morning air was cold and crisp. The sun was shining and somehow it was a pretty surreal and serendipitous moment to be in.

As I was accompanying Pa Bambang who's in quite a critical condition, I'm seeing and hearing all these sounds and sights - of life. A lady about to give birth. Sounds of babies crying. Young men who fell sick. An old lady who looks frail. And of course Pa Bambang himself fighting for his life.

In that night I was just feeling helpless, yet hopeful. I still held on to the hope that he's going to be okay once he went for haemodialysis. I'm still hopeful that the drugs administered are able to bring him to a stable condition. But I was also helpless looking at him struggling to breathe. A conscious, human being, gasping for air. And yet there is nothing we could do at that point. It was tough.

That morning felt surreal to me. It was as if I was hearing and looking at the sounds and sights of life. A lifetime, summarised in these senses I was experiencing. It was weird. But beautiful.

No comments: